Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Bolt wants to make a run... at football?

The world of sports has not been too surprised of notable athletes wanting to excel in two sports at the same time. Think of names and you’ll find basketball legend Michael Jordan, multi-titled boxer Roy Jones, Jr., and even UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar in your list.


Recently, Usain Bolt of Jamaica, who made world history during the 2008 Beijing Olympics by setting three world records in different events, has made it known that he wants to give professional football a try.

Ideally, if I “was to play football, I'd sign for my favorite team — Manchester United,” the 6-foot-5 Bolt said in his autobiography, as reported by the New York Post. “People say it's not realistic but nobody has seen me play so you never know. If Alex Ferguson saw me in one of those charity matches, he might think I could replace Ryan Giggs.”

The 24-year old Bolt actually had shown signs of hyperactivity even when he was still a growing child in Jamaica, prompting his parents to seek medical attention for their son. "I was all over the place, climbing things. My mum goes, 'There must be something wrong with this kid',” says Bolt in an interview with Simon Hattenstone of The Guardian. His love for running has been nurtured by a long-time conversation he had with his father. “He said I should do running because it's an individual sport, and if you do well, you do good for yourself."

Bolt, who has gained a celebrity status with his Olympic feat, seems to be dead serious in making a career out of playing football, often paying visits to Manchester United and Real Madrid and training with its players whenever he gets the chance to. "With his physical skills, I reckon he could play in the Premier League," says his manager, Ricky Simms.

The Olympic gold medalist dubbed as “Lightning Bolt” is eyeing another thrilling stint when he returns to the track for the 2012 London Olympics.

"If I win at the World Championships in Korea next year that will be one set of titles defended but then I want to win the Olympics to complete the job,” says Bolt, as reported by The Sun. "Winning one Olympics is good, of course, but it's only if you do it again that you can be a legend and here in England is where I want to make it happen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment