Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Nonito Donaire "ON" to bigger fights

LOS ANGELES, California – “The Filipino Flash”will be back in the ring.

Nonito Donaire, Jr. will be fighting for the interim and he is ready to take on the best.

Top Rank Promotions announced that Donaire will fight former world champion Wladimir Sidorenko from Ukraine on December 4th in Anaheim, California.

They will fight for the interim super bantamweight title as the undercard for the Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. vs Alfonso Gomez fight.

“Right now, I’m getting a good fight in Sidorenko, he’s not a pushover, we all know he’s a former world champion, former Olympian, and he has what it takes to become world champion because he is a world champion, and there shouldn’t be criticism about how I beat this guy, or how the fight is going to go because this is a world champion you’re looking at. This is a challenge I’ve been wanting,” said Donaire.

For Donaire, this is a chance to move up in the ranks and bag a 3rd world title in 3 weight divisions. He is currently the 4th best pound-for-pound fighter, according to Ring Magazine.

Top Rank’s Bob Arum said at 27 years old, Donaire is entering his prime and will be taking on bigger challenges.

“This is his time, now these next few years he will make his name fighting very big fights,” stated Arum.

Donaire is expected to have 2 big fights less than 3 months apart.

If Donaire can win the Sidorenko fight, the long-awaited match between him and bantamweight champion Fernando Montiel will take place on February 19.

There has been talk of a Donaire-Montiel showdown throughout this year.

“In order for me to get to Montiel, I have to beat this guy, and I know that. That’s in my head right now I never look past, behind anybody. I never disrespect my opponent regardless if they’re at the level or not. I just train hard as much as I can,” said Donaire.

Donaire had also been linked to a possible rematch with super flyweight champion Vic Darchinyan. However, Top Rank and Donaire said he has backed out, and are unsure if the match would ever happen.

The world’s 4th best pound-for-pound fighter will be training hard in Northern California.

“The Filipino Flash” hopes a big win over the highly decorated Ukrainian fighter can silence his critics as he continues his quest to the top

No comments:

Post a Comment