Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Shane Mosley's Speed, Footwork, Power Concern Manny Pacquiao

Pacman vs. Shane
NEW YORK-- Philippines congressman Manny Pacquiao didn't wax political when asked what triple threat would oppose him in the form of three-division, five-time titlist, Shane Mosley, during his May 7, Showtime pay per view televised, Top Rank Promotions clash at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas.

Instead, the eight-division swiftly and succinctly summarized the skills of the 39-year-old Mosley (46-6-1, 39 knockouts).

"It's his hand speed and footwork and also his power," said the 32-year-old Pacquiao, who is riding a 13-bout winning streak that includes eight knockouts.

"This not going to be an easy fight for me," said Pacquiao. "Because I will really have to train hard and do everything that I can do. I have to do my best. I do not want to disappoint." Pacquiao's comments were taken in by 150-or-so media members at Monday's New York press conference at the Chelsea Pier No. 61, an event that marked the third stop in a four-city tour promoting their clash that is being promoted by Top Rank Promotions.

On Thursday, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum and the fighters were greeted by 300 or so reporters who attended a similar affair at the Beverly Hills Hotel, and, on Saturday, another was held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

Following the gathering at Chelsea Pier, Pacquiao, his adviser, Michael Koncz, and other camp members were ushered onto a train headed for Washington, D.C., along with some 40-or-so media personnell that included those from CNN, CBS, National Public Radio, The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The New York Daily News, Playboy, and The Examiner.
On Tuesday, Pacquiao and Mosley will be welcomed on the floor of the United States Senate as a guest of Nevada Senator, Harry Reid, with the hopes that he and his wife, Jinkee, can later meet president Barack Obama.

Pacquiao expressed his desire to meet Obama to Reid while attending an October rally in his honor in Las Vegas -- about two weeks prior to Pacquiao's November, unanimous decision over Antonio Margarito for the vacant WBC junior middleweight (154 pounds) belt that he has since vacated.

"I'm going to meet Harry Reid in Washington to discuss some matters. Some political matters," said Pacquiao, who will return to the Philippines next week to work on congressional issues at home, after which he will begin training in Bagio City.

"In the Philippines, I'm the one who pushed the bill addressing anti-human trafficking, and there is a lot of stuff to do in congress," said Pacquiao.

"Imagine in my province, in the Saragani province, the population is more than half a million, and it's a big, big area," said Pacquiao. "And we don't have a hospital. How come? That's why we need to build a provincial hospital. That's one of the first projects that I will start this year, by March, or April, building a hospital."

Pacquiao's wife, Jinkee, was also in attendance at Chelsea Pier, where she was greeted by a huge, Valentines Day cake as well as a kiss by her husband.

Unlike Pacquiao, who was born into poverty prior to being drawn to the sport at the age of 11, the fighter's children, "will grow up having lived the good life," even as he will teach them how to help others through political philanthropy.

"I have time for my kids and my family, and I'm trying to involve them in the politics to show them that they should help people," said Pacquiao.

"Because, they will not grow up in poverty, they will grow up having lived the good life," said Pacquiao. "So I have to teach them how to help people and to teach them what my life was like in the past."

Meanwhile, there is work to be done in the gym if Pacquiao is to continue to put luxurious meals on the table for his wife and his brood.

Pacquiao said that he will continue to do so, he said, until it is time to retire, which is not likely to happen after the Mosley fight.

"When I feel the laziness in myself, and I'm trying to be lazy in training and in jogging, maybe that's the time you need to quit in boxing -- because you feel lazy in your body," said Pacquiao.

"It's not going to be like, the history of Roy Jones, before he beat his opponents easily, then he was beaten, retired, and came back. I don't want to allow somebody to beat me," said Pacquiao. "I'm enjoying it right now, and I'm excited to train hard and to focus for the fight. But if the time comes, and I'm not excited any more, then, maybe I will rethink my retirement."

No comments:

Post a Comment